Trump slams judge’s travel ban halt

President Donald Trump on Saturday morning took to Twitter to blast a federal judge’s decision to halt his immigration order nationwide.

“The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!” he tweeted.

Federal Judge James Robart, a George W. Bush appointee who presides in Washington state, temporarily stopped the order on Friday night.

US Customs and Border Protection then alerted airlines the US government would quickly begin reinstating visas that were previously canceled, and CBP advised airlines that refugees that are in possession of US visas will be admitted as well, an airline executive said.

Trump sent out a series of tweets lamenting the ruling that halted enforcement.

“When a country is no longer able to say who can, and who cannot, come in & out, especially for reasons of safety &.security – big trouble!” he tweeted.

A chaotic Friday night set up the nation for a second straight weekend of widespread uncertainty over the controversial ban, this time with the administration on defense.

The White House first called the order “outrageous” and then dropped that word minutes later in a second statement.

“At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate,” White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement. “The President’s order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people.”

Trump’s executive order that he signed last week suspended immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days, the US refugee program for 120 days and indefinitely halted Syrian refugees from entering the US.

The ruling may have stung even more for the Trump administration because it came on the heels of its first legal victory over the travel ban. Hours earlier, a federal judge in Boston issued a more limited ruling that declined to renew a temporary restraining order in Massachusetts, which would have prohibited the detention or removal of foreign travelers legally authorized to come to the Boston area.

Aderemisblog

Remie is a Publicist, Brand Promoter, Social Media Blogger and Influencer, Analyst and Editor-in-Chief at aderemisblog.com.ng.E-mail him at olumide@aderemisblog.com.ng

Leave a Reply

css.php